Treatments for Phantom Vibration Syndrome are similar to cognitive therapy techniques for restructuring behavior in that the sufferer of PVS must change behavior patterns which have been reinforced over time. Before addressing the behavior, which mainly focuses on the time spent using the phone or device, there are some immediate techniques to cure phantom vibrations.
- Turn off the vibrations. On the settings of the phone the ‘Vibrate on Ring’ should be turned off so the phone will only emit a ring when a call is received and won’t vibrate. Also the ‘Vibrate on Silent’ should be set to the off so when your phone is set to mute there will be no vibration.
- Change the ringtone of your phone periodically to avoid an auditory conditioning. An example of how a ringtone can cause automatic emotional response is when someone who uses the generic ringtone like the Marimba iPhone default ring on their phone hears the Marimba ringing on a television show they are watching and they grab for their phone thinking it is their phone issuing the Marimba track.
- Reduce the amount of time spent on your phone. Checking the detailed logs of your phone bill is a good way to see the number of incoming calls were received on your phone which allows you to quantify the number of rings your phone emitted and the number of vibrations per month you experienced.
- Turn off your phone when you go to bed or better yet leave the phone off in another room. A phone receives wireless signals and even if the phone ring or vibration doesn’t wake you up there is still the flood of electromagnetic radiation that beams in to and out of your phone as the software receives, locates and renders digital signals. Keeping these signals away from your brain as it recovers during sleep is important.
- Avoid carrying your phone in your pocket or if you do need to carry the device in your pocket keep the vibration off so your neural paths don’t receive signals relentlessly especially if you are receiving high volume of calls.
- Scale back the overall usage of your phone. A complete cold-turkey fast is not essential but consider a digital diet where you reduce the electromagnetic calories you consume during the day. While many people find anxiety levels mounting with smartphone withdrawal if it is possible to go several waking hours in succession or an entire day per week without your phone that is a prudent recovery method.
- Use airplane mode when possible, no only will this reduce the actual vibrations and ringing of the phone but it will also reduce any likelihood of the development of any health problems stemming from radio-frequency electromagnetic field radiation. Evidence shows a possible link between brain tumors, especially “glioma” and EMF (electromagnetic field radiation) which smartphones and countless billions of warless devices depend on.
- Loosen up your clothing. If you carry your phone in your pocket consider wearing looser clothing. Looser clothing will not create a constant interaction between your skin and the fabric of your clothes as well it will allow more of a buffer zone between your device and your skin which will prevent the EMF (electromagnetic field radiation) from being in close continuous contact with your skin which could lead to cell damage and the potential for yet undiagnosed health issues.
- Reducing the cloud of electromagnetic field radiation that you live in by powering down wireless routers and network adapters in your home. Timers can be used to shut down completely the WI-FI transmitters in your home network. This will allow you to improve your sleep as there will be a reduction in the radio signals in the immediate vicinity of your nervous system. City dwellers are bombarded with electromagnetism constantly due to the proximity and abundance of cell phone towers, power lines, wireless zones and the city infrastructure that relys so heavily on digital beams of energy to function. People who leave the city for the country notice the sudden tranquility that seems to exist in the very air they breathe. A true silence descends on someone who is outside of the reach of the wireless electro-pulse. Sleep is enhanced and the brain functions are heightened in the clean, radiation free world of the countryside that is not being constantly pummeled by magnetic energy winds that create veritable tornadoes of buzzing energy in a city that the more sensitive people can literally feel the pressure of the energy overload.
- Customizing the notifications to personalize the alert or vibration depending on who is calling will help filter any vibration if it does occur when your phone is set to vibrate.
- Airplane mode is again a way to help prevent PVS as well as is recommended for any sort of iPhone addiction in that it allows you to still have a basic camera, phone, game unit without being tethered to the cycle of alerts vibrations and incoming messages and calls.
- Keep your phone safely out of reach while driving. Not only are the dangers of texting and playing with a phone while driving very serious and well documented it also will help lessen any occurrence of phantom vibes during a time when all your attention should be focused on operating a motor vehicle.
- Use the buddy system if you can. Just as Alcoholic Anonymous and other twelve step programs rely on a sponsor people who suffer from phone addiction or phantom vibration syndrome can also recruit a friend or relative who understands or maybe even shares in their affliction. This will allow a person to have a kindred spirit in which to go through any anxiety or withdraw that reducing use and dependence of the phone will induce.
- Recent reduction in technology size has enabled smart watches like the popular Apple Watch to be more and more popular. Phantom Vibrations are now felt on the wrist of Apple Watch wearers. The same principles that create the false signal to be localized in the buttocks or leg because of the phones pocket placement is causing wrists to experience the same phantom vibration and tapping. The smart watches use the same combination of audible tones and vibration oscillations that phones do so smart watch wearers who receive vibratory alert messages should also turn off or silent the vibrations as much as possible. The adverse effects of having electromagnetic waves constantly being targeted to a device physically touching the skin needs further study but the dangers of the smart watch could outweigh those of the typical iPhone which is not worn directly touching the skin as a watch is. The phone danger is also that the user is placing the antennae directly on the skull when talking on the phone unless an extension microphone or earpiece with microphone is being used. Beyond the cure for PVS care and contemplation must be placed towards the harmful radiation damages that could be done to human tissue and psychology.
- Tap sequences on Apple Watches can mirror the self-gratification effect of receiving messages and phone calls. By manually tapping the wrist device to operate various functions the watch user is in essence doing a more serious and concerted self conditioning which is a tap engine hypnosis procedure. Similar to incessant masturbation, the watch wearers become unknowingly tantalized and enthralled with the tapping of their devices as it releases the same pleasure chemicals that they receive when an actual phone call or message is received from someone. If a vibration signalling a message arrives on the watch while the user is already involved in a tap sequence on the screen the reinforcement of the reward is amplified and there will be more potential for phantom vibrations to appear in the wrist and people will feel their wrist vibrate even when they are not wearing their watch.
- Use EMF blocking or reducing shields, clothing and adapters to globally diminish any exposure to electromagnetic transmissions or fields generated by wireless devices, modems, routers and towers.
Curing phantom vibration syndrome should involve a planned distancing from forms of electromagnetic radiation which is used in phone and watches and laptops and all communicating devices. The potential harm in these invisible energy waves have not been fully understood or explained. While most industry experts tend to downplay any risks involved in holding a cellphone to your head for hours the data has not had time to reach any valuable level of quantifiable pertinent information which would allow us to make an absolute declaration on the dangers of radiation in these devices. Logic should hint to us that feelings of hot flashes or phantom vibrations in our legs or wrists are a message similar to a severe mucous rich cough should tell a smoker that there is an issue with their physiology that is causing a detrimental reaction. If indeed our bodies are trying to warn us of some inner mutation occurring because of the constant electromagnetic pounding the cells and neural paths are receiving then it would be wise to listen to the whispers of our very being. Our survival and future depends on it.